Latest News – 18th July 2023
1. India Meteorological Department has forecast ‘heavy to very heavy’ rainfall over Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand and Odisha for next five days.
2. PM Modi will inaugurate the new integrated terminal building of Veer Savarkar International Airport, Port BlairBlair through video conferencing.
3. Union government has constituted a new panel to review all National Statistical Office (NSO) data.
4. PSLV-C56, a commercial mission that will have seven satellites as payloads, scheduled to lift off from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota on July 26.
5. India’s space agency, ISRO, is jointly developing a nuclear-powered engine along with Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC).
6. Union Minister Amit Shah chairs Regional Conference on Drugs Smuggling & National Security in New Delhi.
7. Cooperation Minister Amit Shah will launch ‘CRCS-Sahara Refund Portal’ in New Delhi today (18 Jul) .
8. The Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways is going to host the third edition of the prestigious ‘Global India Maritime Summit’ this year. Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal, will launch the Curtain Raiser for the ‘Global Maritime India Summit 2023’ in Mumbai.
9. NITI Aayog released Export Preparedness Index 2022 report in New Delhi. According to the report, coastal states have performed well with states of Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Gujarat being the top performers.
10. Raksha Mantri and Lucknow MP Rajnath Singh will inaugurate and lay the foundation of many development projects today in Lucknow. Two national highways projects worth rupees 3300 crores will also be inaugurated.
11. Three BJP candidates were elected unopposed to the Rajya Sabha from Gujarat yesterday. The leaders include External Affairs Minister Dr S. Jaishankar, former MLA Babubhai Desai, and Kesaridev Singh Jhala.
12. Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur visited the affected areas of the state to take stock of the damages caused by heavyrains and floods in Himachal.
13. National Zoological Park, New Delhi (Delhi Zoo) has celebrated World Snake Day on Sunday. The purpose of World Snake Day celebration is to protect snakes by raising awareness about snakes of India.
14. Political opposition parties meeting in Bengaluru to work out united strategy for Lok Sabha elections.
15. The seventh edition of India Mobile Congress (IMC) 2023, Asia’s premier digital technology exhibition, will take place from 27 October to 30 October at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
16. Jammu-Kashmir launched a path breaking Mobile-Dost App in sync with the vision of Apka-Mobila-Humara-Daftar, an effective initiative for mobile based delivery of citizen-centric services in the Union Territory.
17. Leaders of 38 parties have confirmed their participation in a meeting of the ruling National Democratic Alliance (NDA) to be held in the national capital on Tuesday, BJP president J P Nadda said.
18. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and Congress Parliamentary Party chairperson Sonia Gandhi shared moments together, enquiring about each other’s health and strategising on opposition unity on the first day of the Bengaluru summit.
19. The “Pad Yatra,” undertaken by Buddhist monks of Thailand and other devotees of different parts of the world and India, culminated in Ladakh. The 32-day ‘Dhamma Padh Yatra’ that started on June 10 from Dharamsala was aimed at propagating the message of peace and harmony in the world.
20. Lok Janshakti Party (Ram Vilas) leader Chirag Paswan has joined the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), after meeting Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
21. Delhi Mayor Shelly Oberoi on Monday said that there is a possibility of more cases of dengue and malaria in comparison to last year due to the flooding.
22. Infosys Co-Founder and his wife, author and educator Sudha Murty on Monday donated a gold conch and a gold tortoise idol to Lord Balaji at Tirupati. The gold donations are said to be around two kilograms. Both items will be used to clean the idols at the temple in Andhra Pradesh.
23. Senior Mathematician, writer MangalaNarlikar passes away due to cancer in Pune. Narlikar obtained her master’s degree with gold medal in Mathematics, obtained PhD in subject of Analytic Number Theory.
1. Tamilnadu, Enforcement Directorate conducted raids at the houses and offices of the State Higher Education Minister Dr. Ponmudi his son and Lok Sabha MP Gautham Sigamani.
2. Under the nationwide ‘Nasha Mukt Bharat’ campaign. Jammu and Kashmir, Police destroyed 6,727 kilograms of drugs seized during various operations in Jammu.
3. The Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) on Monday took Pakistani woman Seema Haider and her lover Sachin Meena into custody from Gautam Buddha Nagar for questioning. Seema had entered India illegally along with her four children through Nepal’s borders to live with Sachin after meeting him via PUBG.
4. The Supreme Court on Monday scheduled the final hearing regarding the pleas challenging the remission granted last year to 11 convicts involved in the gang-rape of Bilkis Bano for August 7.
5. Supreme Court on Monday asked Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal and Lieutenant Governor V K Saxena to rise above ‘political bickering’ and discuss who could head the national capital’s power regulator Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC), saying the two constitutional functionaries should get down to ‘serious work of governance’ away from glare of publicity.
6. A man from Uttar Pradesh’s Lucknow has been arrested for allegedly converting 230 Dalit families to Christianity. A case was filed against him on the basis of a complaint by an activist, Vijay Hindustani.
1. Currency in circulation growth falls to 4.4% after withdrawal of Rs 2,000 notes: On May 19, the RBI withdraw Rs 2,000 notes from circulation based on a review, in pursuance of the “Clean Note Policy”, and it advised banks to stop issuing these notes with immediate effect.
2. Jio Financial Services entity will also be included in the Nifty 50, Nifty 100, Nifty 200, and Nifty 500 indices, as well as other sectoral indices from 20 July, the National Stock Exchange mentioned.
3. Recently India and UAE sign MoU on linking of India’s UPI with Instant Payment Platform of UAE.
4. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announces pilot project in South Asia region for tax and financial crime investigation under India’s G20 Presidency.
5. Razorpay India Strengthens Presence in Malaysia, Launches its First International Payment Gateway Through Curlec. It is started with a vision to solve the digital payment problems in emerging markets.
6. A total of 20.23 lakh new employees have been added to the Employees’ State Insurance Scheme in May this year.
7. HDFC Bank on Monday announced its financial results for first quarter of FY24, which showed its net profit jumped 30% year-over-year (YoY) to ₹11,951 crore. The bank’s net interest income also rose about 21% YoY to ₹23,599 crore during the period.
8. Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution Minister Piyush Goyal launched the sale of subsidized Chana Dal under the brand name ‘Bharat Dal’ at the rate of 60 rupees per kilogram for one-kilogram pack and 55 rupees per kilogram for 30-kilogram pack.
1. Argentina Defence Minister Jorge Enrique Taiana arrives in New Delhi on four-day visit to India.
2. India and Mongolian troops are participating in the 15th edition of the joint military exercise Nomadic Elephant in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
3. Ashok Leyland has secured INR 800 crore worth of orders from the Indian Army, which include the procurement of specialist vehicles FAT 4×4 and GTV 6×6 for towing light and medium guns. The vehicles are scheduled to be delivered over the next 12 months.
4. India is set to expand its naval power in the Indian Ocean with the purchase of three additional Scorpene-class submarines from France. The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the deal recently during PM Modi’s two-day visit to France.
5. Security forces on Monday found two improvised explosive devices in the Handwara forests in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir. Two IEDs — weighing approximately five kilograms and 07 kilograms — were recovered from Wodhpura Ridge near NH 701.
6. Security forces killed two terrorists and foiled a major infiltration bid along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district, a defence spokesperson said on Monday.
7. Pakistan Army’s top generals have said that Taliban militants in Afghanistan who harbour terrorists from the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan group were partly responsible for recent terrorist attacks in Pakistan.
✈ INTERNATIONAL NEWS
1. Commerce Secretary Sunil Barthwal is visiting London from July 17 to 18 to take stock of the negotiations for a proposed free-trade agreement (FTA) with the UK.
2. Joe Biden appointed Indian-American businesswoman Shamina Singh as member of President’s Export Council, which serves as the principal national advisory committee on international trade.
3. Foreign Minister S. Jaishanker said in a tweet after the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) retreat in Bangkok that food, health and energy Securities are common concerns for member nations.
4. Repatriation ceremony for 105 trafficked antiquities handed over by the US side was held at the Indian Consulate in New York.
5. Around 150-200 Indians staged a protest in Germany’s Frankfurt appealing to PM Modi to reunite two-year-old Ariha with her parents. Last month, a German court denied custody of Ariha, who has been living in foster care since September 2021, to her parents back in India. German authorities had taken custody of Ariha after alleging harassment by her parents.
???? WORLD NEWS ????
UNO Gen. Secy : António Guterres.
1. Temperatures have soared towards new highs across three continents (North America to Europe and Asia) as heatwaves and wildfires are scorching parts of the Northern Hemisphere. Dangerous heatwaves were felt across the world as wildfires rage on July 16.
2. The UK officially signed its Accession Protocol to the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) on 16 July 2023. This trade agreement contains some of the world’s largest and most dynamic economies.
3. Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia Al-Sudani began an official visit to Syria.
4. In Iran, the morality police are back on the streets, and officials are promising strict enforcement of mandatory Islamic headscarf rules for women. This comes 10 months after the death of a young Kurdish woman who was detained by the morality police for allegedly wearing the hijab improperly.
5. A private Chinese company launched the World’s first methane-fuelled space rocket into orbit named “Zhuque-2”.
1. Carlos Alcaraz defeated Novak Djokovic 1-6, 7-6 (8/6), 6-1, 3-6, 6-4 at Wimbledon on Sunday to succeed the Serbian as Wimbledon champion. Djokovic congratulated
2. In shooting, India shooter Prithviraj Tondaiman bagged the bronze medal in the men’s trap event at the ISSF Shotgun World Cup Lonato 2023 in Italy.
3. Bangladesh took an early lead on Sunday after beating India by 40 runs (DLS method) in the first ODI in Dhaka.
The rain interrupted the play as the match turned into a 44 overs game. Bangladesh restricted India to 113 in 35.5 overs after scoring 152. Earlier, a four-wicket haul by debutant Amanjot Kaur helped India restrict Bangladesh to 152/9 in 43 overs.
4. U.S. Open badminton: Lakshya Sen loses to reigning All England champion Li Shi Feng of China in the semifinals. Lakshya lost with a score of 17-21, 24-22, 17-21 in a grueling match that lasted one hour and 16 minutes.
5. Keerthana Pandian defeated fellow Indian Anupama Ramachandran in the final to emerge as the IBSF World under-21 women’s snooker champion.
6. PM Modi has lauded the outstanding performance by the Indian contingent at the 25th Asian Athletics Championship 2023. Asian Athletics Championships, concluded yesterday in Bangkok, India displayed a fantastic performance as they finished third winning 27 medals with six Gold, 12 Silver and Nine Bronze.
7. Paralympics : In Para Athletics, Ajeet Singh has clinched the gold medal in the finals of the Men’s javelin throw F46 in the ongoing Championships in Paris. Rinku won the silver medal with a best throw of 65.38.